Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas decorations (fabric strips light garland and ornament ball wreath)

Here are two home decorating crafts for your viewing enjoyment :) The first is a strand of lights, made by my mom. She simply cut strips of Christmas fabric 1 1/2 inches wide and about 6 1/2 inches long. She then knotted the strips of fabric along the light strand as shown below:

I love this garland and use it every year to line the entrance from my kitchen to my living room. One year I put it on the tree and it looked so pretty when I plugged the lights in :) It is a really simple project -- especially if you already have leftover fabric sitting around your house. I think my mom used about 5 or so different fabrics. You could get so many different effects with this depending on the type of fabric you use.
Next is the ornament ball wreath I made this year. I had made a similar version in years past but it involved a lot of glue and a straw wreath. It was a mess. This year I followed a Martha Stewart tutorial which involved wire and a wire frame wreath. SO MUCH PRETTIER. It does take quite a few balls so I would recommend catching a sale or an after-Christmas deal. I also reccomend using plastic balls so you don't have to worry about them breaking! Mine are glass but I've glued them in place once they are wired on so I'm hoping we won't have any fall and break this year. Also, if one does break, you can always simply wire a new ball into place.
Here is the link for the tutorial.

5 comments:

The Rowleys said...

That is so funny that you made that because we were at Smiths and they had one that was bells and I liked it but it was too sparse. Hmmm...I might just copy you again. Its a good thing I'm moving aways otherwise people might mistake my house for yours! :)lol well, actually yours is prettier.

Tricia said...

I love the wreath, it turned out awesome.

Unknown said...

Thank you i would really like to try this. I mostly like to prepare the Christmas decorations items at home as it give more joy when we prepare something on our own and when people praise us for that. The garland i the picture was really awesome.

Unknown said...

Decorating the exterior of home for the Christmas holidays is an essential. There are many decorating items available in the market which are available at cheaper rates and also gives a special look to our home.

Raspberry Lemonade said...

Thank you for sharing, great decorting idea!